Survey-in-a-Box: Student Experience of the Major (2015 Update)
Use the Survey-in-a-Box: Student Experience of the Major (SEM) to identify strengths and areas for improving your department’s efforts to retain students. The Survey-in-a-Box contains a full survey, with specific modules that can be used together or independently; an instruction manual; guidelines for getting human research approval when needed; information on how to administer paper and online versions of the survey; suggestions for action based on survey results; and much more. For more information on the Extension Services program, visit https://www.ncwit.org/project/extension-services-undergraduate-programs.
Ways to Use Survey-in-a-Box
- Get the full PDF on the left.
- Use the links below to download a .zip file for all Microsoft® Word templates from each section of Survey-in-a-Box that you can customize for your department, as well as the applicable section of the PDF.
- Orientation and Dissemination Resources | .zip (370.5 KB)
- The Survey Instrument | .zip (1.15 MB)
- Analysis and Reporting | .zip (2.23 MB)
Download this .zip folder to access resources that explain what the survey is, how to administer it, and how to build support for this project within your institution.
Download this .zip folder to access the codebooks and customizable survey instruments for both the entire survey and individual survey modules.
Download this .zip folder to access a step-by-step guide detailing how to set up your data and analyze it in Microsoft® Excel.