Extension Services for Undergraduate Programs
NCWIT Extension Services for Undergraduate Programs (ES-UP) helps academic departments of computing develop high-impact strategies for recruiting and retaining more women students with advice that is customized to local needs and conditions.
From 2010-2014, ES-UP provided customized consultation to 40 computing and engineering departments. Collectively, these departments have seen positive results:
- Newly enrolled women students increased from 16% to 20%.
- The growth rate for women’s enrollments in client departments was 227% over four years, while men’s enrollment growth was much lower, at 147%.
- Bachelor’s degrees awarded to women increased from 12% to 16%.
- Bachelor’s degrees awarded to women increased by 102%, while growth for men was 46%.
View an interactive diagram of these strategic approaches for recruitment and retention, and design your own strategic plan.
View Strategic Approaches
- Visit the FAQ page to learn about the ES-UP consultation process, evaluative tools to help determine the use of scarce resources, and ES-UP funding sources.
- Download the ES-UP Info Sheet.
ES-UP is generously supported by the National Science Foundation (Awards HRD-1203148/1203198/1203174/1203179) and Google.org.
Use the NCWIT Activity and Change Tracker (ACT) to track your activities — a collaborative, online tool for NCWIT Alliance Members to share their broadening participation in computing efforts with all supporters and followers of NCWIT.
(NEW!) The NCWIT Tracking Tool is now open for Academic Alliance members. This online evaluation tool helps academic departments evaluate efforts for recruiting and retaining students, by collecting and charting enrollment and outcome data (i.e., attrition, retention, completions) by major.