Extension Services (ES)
In 2017–2018, only 18 percent (or 9,131) of all Computer and Information Sciences undergraduate degree recipients were women. We can do better. Institutions of higher learning know that diversity and inclusion are instrumental in helping all students realize their full potential. NCWIT Extension Services (ES) can assist computing departments in making lasting transformations that bring new voices to the table and change what’s possible.
Who we are
Using research-based tools, processes, and best practices, the ES approach develops a strategic foundation for increasing women’s participation in undergraduate and graduate computing programs. Our resources help academic change agents build consensus and action from the inside out, creating momentum for measurable, sustainable change.
Sustainable change happens when educational systems are revised to fit people, rather than changing people to fit systems that are often biased. Organizational change is by necessity customized, with resources keyed to specific departments and institutions, helping computing faculty strategically reimagine recruitment, retention, and evaluation. Increasing course participation and graduation rates is just part of the story. We help faculty change leaders make lasting, systematic change by securing strategic buy-in and participation from colleagues, department chairs, student affairs, and students themselves. Diversity and inclusion become central to departmental culture, not merely an add-on.
- ES works with departments of computing through:
- This interactive diagram of NCWIT’s strategic recruitment and retention approach helps faculty members design their own plan.
- This FAQ page describes NCWIT’s collaborative evaluation tools that help faculty determine how to use scarce resources.
- Computing faculty can use the NCWIT Tracking Tool to connect to Academic Alliance members. This online evaluation tool helps academic departments evaluate student recruitment and retention efforts, collecting and charting enrollment and outcome data by major.
- Download the ES information sheet
Real people, real results
ES is generously supported by the National Science Foundation (Awards HRD-1203148/1203198/1203174/1203179).