For Aspirations Alumnae and Aspirations Community Members
Applications for NCWIT AspireIT Summer 2016 are open!
The deadline has been extended through Monday, February 15, 2016.
Interested in sharing your passion for technology with the next generation? We are looking for women like you to become role models and inspire others as NCWIT AspireIT Program Leaders.
Using the near-peer model, Program Leaders (students who are NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Members) are supported by Program Partners (adults who are NCWIT Alliance Members) in teaching younger girls the fundamentals of programming and computational thinking in fun, creative environments.
Through AspireIT, you have the chance to apply for up to $3,000 in funding to help you and your team create and lead tech-related camps, clubs, and workshops for K-12 girls.
Our Program Leaders tell us they participate because they can:
- Give younger girls confidence in their own abilities.
- Inspire future innovators.
- Develop valuable leadership skills in technology that strengthen a resume.
- Increase their own confidence in their computing and leadership abilities.
- Socialize, network, and build a community of support for girls and women interested in technology.
Join other Program Leaders on this rewarding, exciting, and challenging journey!
Next Steps for Program Leaders:
- Review the full application information packet, also known as the Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Team up with a Program Partner prior to the registration and application process.
- If you are looking for a Partner, see our helpful tips (below) to guide you through the process.
- Gather your tools and the information you will need to fill out the Registration form (again, see the full application packet to know in advance what you will need).
Ready to Apply?
Once you have read over the documentation mentioned above and paired with a Program Partner, here is what you need to do next:
- Create or log in to your account as a Community Member at aspirations.org.
- Fill out the Round 5 Registration Form.
- Once you have registered and your Partner is verified, the rest of the application will become available to you. Watch your email!
Find a Program Partner!
If you are interested in being a Program Leader and need some assistance looking for an organization to be your Program Partner, fill out the “Looking for an AspireIT Program Partner?” form. This will help potential Partners, in your local geographic area, to find you (without exposing your private information to them).
You should also try the following:
- Look at the AspireIT program matching page. There may be opportunities posted from potential partners looking for Program Leaders in your community.
- If you were an Affiliate Award recipient, reach out to the local Affiliate organizers who organized your local event. These volunteers are already invested in your success and supportive of your endeavors.
- Visit the Academic Alliance page and contact the representative at your college or a college in your community. If the representative listed is unavailable to work with you, ask for recommendations of another faculty or staff member within the organization who might be interested in helping.
- Look at organizations in your community. Local chapters of Girl Scouts, 4H, Boys & Girls Club, Girls Inc., and many others are already members of the K-12 Alliance. Visit the K-12 Alliance page to see which organizations are members.
- Are you working with your local school or non-profit? They can directly join the NCWIT K-12 Alliance as an Associate. Have them fill out this form to get started.
Key Dates for AspireIT Programs to be held in Summer 2016 (Round 5)
Registration: The registration period includes identifying Program Leader(s) and Program Partners who are already paired. After you register, your Partner will receive an email to verify their involvement.
The registration must be submitted by the Program Leader on behalf of the team.
November 16, 2015 through February 15, 2016, 11:59 p.m., EST
Applications: The application period includes verification of the Program Budget and Partner. You will receive a link to the application after you have registered and your Program Partner has been verified.
The application must be submitted by the Program Leader on behalf of the team.
November 16, 2015 through February 22, 2016, 11:59 p.m., EST
Notifications and Acceptance: During this period you will be notified whether or not your Application is approved and, if approved, you must confirm your commitment to hold the Program.
March 14 to April 4, 2016
Questions? Contact email@example.com.