Host a middle school camp at our Strawberry Plains campus to raise awareness of our CS/IT programs, especially in our Cyber Defense concentration which is housed at that campus. Begin to fill the pipeline earlier than high school.
1. Work with the Dean of the Strawberry Plains campus to identify a camp format that will be effective.
2. Apply for the NCWIT Seed Fund to be used to implement the camp (buy-in from our Grants Office is required as well).
3. WIN the NCWIT Seed Fund award to apply toward the camp.
4. Select a camp date ( or set of dates).
5. Publicize the camp.
6. Recruit Aspirations award winners to serve as mentors and possibly instructors.
7. Recruit high school teachers/CS faculty to serve as instructors.
8. Report on the success of the camp(s).
Progress On Activity
Completed. 4 weeks of camps were offered during June & July of 2016 in partnership with the Boys & Girls club.
Begin planning at least 6 months in advance. Recruit sponsors as far in advance as possible. Separate experienced kids from those with no or very minimal experience.