Types of Consultation
About Extension Services (ES)
NCWIT Extension Services provides support for initiatives, customized consultation, and national workshops for increasing the participation of women in undergraduate computing. There are two levels of Service.
Consultation for Reformer Institutions
Academic Alliance members on the Reformer path can obtain full-service ES consultation and support for systemic change. Full service includes:
- Needs Assessment We use data you supply to conduct a needs assessment.
- Report and Recommendations We compile a summary report on findings from the needs assessment, with relevant and prioritized recommendations.
- Presentation of Findings During a visit with your faculty, we present the analysis and recommendations in our report and encourage discussion about next steps.
- Enlist Institutional Support A senior computer scientist assists your department head in enlisting upper-level administrative support.
- Advice from Experienced Peers During your implementation phase, Extension Services provides resources and ongoing consultation, and connects you with people experienced in the practices you are implementing.
- Assessment Plan ES helps you develop an assessment plan to track progress. Annual Meetings We meet with your faculty to discuss the process and progress of your department.
- Strategic Recruiting Plan We work with you to develop recruiting that gets the greatest return on investment.
Extension Services identifies and promotes Exemplar Departments. Exemplar status is awarded to departments that undertake research-based systemic changes in practices that affect gender diversity. Their practices must be both sustainable and portable to other institutions.
Support for Individual Initiatives
Academic Alliance members on the Practitioner path can obtain targeted ES support for their initiatives. The Extension Services will review initiative plans and assessment data, and give advice on implementation. In some instances, a limited amount of financial support may also be available.
How to Apply for Service
If you are interested in becoming a client, you must first join the NCWIT Academic Alliance. Once you have joined the NCWIT Academic Alliance, you can apply for service from NCWIT Extension Services.