Jobs with NCWIT
Aspirations Affiliate Regional Coordinator (5 positions)
NCWIT is seeking three Regional Affiliate Coordinators to help support the growing network of local Aspirations in Computing Affiliate Programs. This will be a support, facilitation and management role, which will take place primarily by phone/email/webinars. Coordinators will be responsible for the mentoring groups of Aspirations Affiliate programs.
This is a temporary part-time contract appointment for approximately 10-15 hours per week in the fall of 2013. The ideal candidate is someone with a passion for gender equity in technology, an established professional network, and experience working with and facilitating the success of volunteers and volunteer teams.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and time availability to Ruthe Farmer.
Program Manager (PT Consultant Position)
The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT), a national non-profit organization based in Boulder, Colorado, seeks a Program Manager for its Affinity Group Alliance. This is a part-time, (20 hours per week) consultant/contractor position.
NCWIT works to increase women's participation in technology and computing careers by leveraging the efforts of organizations across the country. For example, NCWIT unites colleges and universities in its Academic Alliance, major corporations in its Workforce Alliance, startup companies in its Entrepreneurial Alliance, and secondary education experts in its K-12 Alliance.
The NCWIT Affinity Group Alliance brings together technical women's affinity groups around the country. These groups — whether based within companies, organized around a software platform, or informal and local — provide support, networking, and professional development to hundreds of thousands of technical women, and the NCWIT Affinity Group Alliance exists to support their work. The Alliance gives affinity groups access to resources for women's retention and advancement, outreach and networking opportunities, and a platform for sharing ideas and approaches.
Members of the Affinity Group Alliance include The Ada Initiative, Bank of America Women in Technology & Operations, Black Data Processors Association, Chicago Women Developers, Colorado Technology Association, Coolest Women We Know (CWWK), Girl Geek Dinners, IBM, Independent Oracle Users Group (IOUG), Latino Startup Alliance, Microsoft Women Employee Resource Group, Qualcomm Women in Science & Engineering, She's Geeky, SIM Women, Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Women @ Intel Network, and Women Who Code (Denver/Boulder).
The Program Manager consultant will provide communications structure and project management for the Affinity Group Alliance (including but not limited to the following):
- Maintain relationships with the Alliance's members and co-chairs (technical women from member organizations around the country)
- Provide leadership to the Alliance members as they establish working teams
- Work with members to understand NCWIT resources and how they can use and promote them in their groups
- Track membership activity in CRM database
- Communicate with Alliance members and the public about relevant topics, using established NCWIT channels and social media
- Produce presentations and materials that can be used in NCWIT’s development work to fund and grow the Alliance
- Participate in recurring meetings with other NCWIT consultants and staff
- Prepare for and host Affinity Group Alliance Members at the annual NCWIT Summit
- Suggest ideas for and assist in the management of Affinity Group Alliance projects
The ideal candidate for this consultant position will possess:
- Solid organizational, planning, prioritization, and self-direction skills
- Professional interpersonal skills (strong verbal and written communications)
- Familiarity with / membership in professional, technical organizations
- Strong networking abilities
- Experience with setting and achieving goals
- Experience working in technical environments
- Knowledge of the following technologies: PowerPoint, Google Docs, CRM or similar databases
- Knowledge of social media platforms a plus
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply and ideal candidate is located in the Denver metro area. Compensation commensurate with experience, range is $30 - $45/hour. Apply via email by sending your resume, cover letter and a short list of references.
NCWIT Communications Developer
The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT), a national non-profit organization based in Boulder, Colorado, seeks a Communications Developer. This is a part-time (20 hours per week) consultant/contractor position.
Believe that our mission -- to increase the number of women studying, practicing, and creating information technology -- is dependent on the successful marketing of our message. We have a reputation for producing well-written, well-designed materials for a broad audience. As the NCWIT communications developer you will help draft and edit tight, compelling copy for web pages, press releases, social media campaigns, press pitches, newsletters, and member correspondence. Since we’re a non-profit startup, we’ll also expect you to suggest other projects we haven’t even thought of yet.
- Must be an excellent writer who can produce crisp, convincing prose suitable for a variety of audiences (academic, corporate, K-12, general public)
- Might not have grokked that first bullet: you must be an excellent writer
- Must be comfortable with social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Tumblr) and able to convey an idea in 140 characters
- Should be a prolific consumer of news, especially news about technology, education, business, and culture
- Should be familiar with AP, Chicago, or APA style guides, as well as a decent editor of your own work
- Should enjoy self-guided work and have solid project management skills
- Are proficient with Google Docs, Office, and shared calendaring
- Have experience working with a content management system
- Can balance excellence with deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Probably have a journalism, communications, marketing, or similar degree, or commensurate experience in digital advertising, journalism, marketing communications, or agency work
- Are willing to travel 2-3 times per year and participate in weekly conference calls
- Live in the Boulder / Denver metro area, or can make a good case for why it's all right that you don't
DETAILS: Pay range is $25-$40 per hour, commensurate with experience. NCWIT welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds, regardless of gender, creed, or color.
TO APPLY: Please email writing samples or links, a cover letter, and a résumé, to Jenny Slade.